Monday, May 19, 2014

Exiting the world of Tim Ferris!

I have realized that the book 4-hour work is not for me.  As I don’t work full time or in a corporate world. It’s for the people who are over worked, fatigued and exhausted. There are few points that I really liked and with few I totally disagree.

“Doing something unimportant well does not make it important” and “ Requiring a lot of time does not make a task important.” I could easily make use of these two points. I spend hours on useless things making them sound important or thinking that world would come to an end if I didn’t do that certain thing instantly. The most unimportant thing that I do is browsing L, which takes up lots of my time and energy. The energy that could be used in productive things is mostly directed towards worthless and meaning less browsing. In future I will have to use my will power to diminish or eliminate it from my life.

“Being overwhelmed is often as unproductive as doing nothing, and is far more unpleasant.” Often times I give myself so many tasks and become stressed out and over whelmed for no reason. Whenever I invite people over I go crazy planning for making 30 things and not only become myself stressed out but also send out negative vibes to all at home. Inviting people over should be a pleasant experience not a gruesome one. I totally disregard the fact that people don’t come for food only (well they do); all they care about is your positive and hospitable attitude.

“The end product of the shorter deadline is almost inevitably of equal or higher quality due to greater focus.” I totally agree with the above-mentioned lines. In past whenever I had ample time to do some project I would waste a lot of time doing “unimportant things” rather than focusing on the main thing and in the end results would be unsatisfactory. On the contrary, projects that were handed over to me on the last minute were always successful.  I believe that if you have limited time, all the creative particles of your mind work together harder and in unison to give the best possible outcome.

I totally disagree with the chapter “outsourcing your life” chapter. I believe its not a practical idea to out source everything What if the people you outsourced your work to read the same book then you are left with no body to work with an you might have to start from point zero. Its doesn’t sound sane to me to transfer all your important information to a person living miles away. Although everything is safe and secure but sill if the person assisting you runs away, then you are not going to go and catch him. Even if you do its impossible to find the particular person in those parts of world. I do agree that taking a little bit assistance is fine but not to the extent where some one else starts ruling you.

I do agree that we need to delegate few things to other people. As far as I am concerned I want to do everything from A to Z, which makes me go insane. I should realize that somethings are reserved for other people and I should retire it to them, as I cannot be perfect in everything. I should learn to trust other people and assign them some work. I had textile design as a major in my bachelors and often time we were given strenuous projects. I used to kill myself doing everything and on the other hand people used to seek help from other people. Things or final outcome of my projects would have been better if I had put aside   my ego, shyness or workaholic-ness and sought help from others. 
 I would conclude this book by saying that it was a well-written book but not for me.

1 comment:

  1. Although you didn't like the overall purpose of the book. I don't blame you. I am glad that you got the most important bits from the book and will be able to apply it!

    ReplyDelete